Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Top 10 reasons I haven't posted lately

  1. I am an academic (there, I said it), which also makes me a professional procrastinator. More on this in a later post.
  2. The longer I wait, the greater the pressure from the three people who read this to post something mind-bogglingly funny/enlightened/inspiring/newsworthy.
  3. There are a lot of other blogs out there, and sometimes it's more interesting to read them than to write on mine. Just admit it, that's why you don't have a blog.
  4. January, the month when it's too cold to take my fingers out of my sleeves to type, and nothing worth reporting seems to be happening anyways.
  5. Winter break, that special time when there are no important projects I should be doing instead of blogging. Right now, I'm avoiding a mid-size ethnographic project proposal, two grant applications, and approximately 150 pages of reading, half of which is written in Fraktur, a special gothic-style script designed expressly to cause headaches, and all of which is written in very dry, very tedious, very academic German.
  6. Bathroom remodeling.
  7. Trying to think of ways to blog about how silly certain aspects of my professional life are without getting fired/ruining any chance of future employment in my field.
  8. The great Laptop Virus Catastrophe of 2010 (I kept thinking I'd just wait until I had it fixed to blog).
  9. Toying with the idea of moving my blog to Wordpress, putting ads on my blog, making it a Real Project.
  10. Watching seventeen iterations of this epic battle every day that I am home and should be doing productive things:
George attacks from Lindsay Lawton on Vimeo.

4 comments:

Brian said...

While I only have two people that follow my blog (one of them also follows yours) my experience with adwords is that I won't be getting rich anytime soon. I launched theslowlane.net in 2007 and so far have earned a whopping $12 although it will likely be $13 by the end of the year. Google is smart enough not to send a check until it reaches $100. You get paid by page views and ad clicks. The one reason to do it is Google Analytics. It gives you tons of stats and pretty graphs including a map of cities around the world that have viewed the site. I find it pretty random and interesting.

Keep moving that cursor to the right ;)

Brian said...

Oh, I can help you if you want to switch to a full on domain name some time.

Sarah said...

I loved the video! That's adorable. Cricket's such a good sport. I don't care if your blog posts are funny/smart/whatever else you said. I just like to hear how you're doing. So no pressure!

John said...

It's great to stumble on to this post and see you're up and running again. Talk to you soon. Opening night tonight so we'll see how this goes....