Tuesday, February 23, 2010

If only...

Right now, I'm in hour 2 of my third try at rescuing my laptop. I'm writing this on my much older but apparently much better desktop while I wait for a scan to finish up. Grump.
Maybe it's because of the isolation of my job, but I think my inner voice is getting louder. Yes, that sounds insane. I mean, at least it's still inner...eventually, after enough silent hours hunched at my desk, and to the great annoyance of my inferiors more junior colleagues, it will become an outer monologue, and then I'll know I've really arrived as an academic.
Anyways, during this horrible, terrible, stupid quest to extend the life of my laptop until I have time to research what I should buy to replace it, I've spend a lot of time with my inner voice. And it's telling me I could not have chosen a less useful more different path than what I should have spent the last decade studying. I should have been learning computer science. I should have studied html for my foreign language (a real option at Mac) instead of German or Russian or Turkish.
Grump.
Update: it's two days later, and I think my laptop is clean again. Clean enough to use, at least - I'm writing this on it. Score ten points for humanities! I need all the small victories I can get.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Bring it with you and I'll rebuild it if you want.