Thursday, December 6, 2007

Good News, Bad News

Bad News: My tooth is still hurting, several weeks after the cavity was filled.
Good News: I went to see my dentist about it this morning.
Bad News: I might need a root canal.
Good News: Perversely, I like my dentist a lot. He seems to know what he's doing, and he tells me everything that's going on with my teeth - including the scientific names of my problems (not that I remember them). He does not blame/shame/guilt me for the state of my teeth. He didn't try to converse with me while my mouth was full of dental tools. He understands (patiently tolerates, does not mock or patronize) my fear of root canals. Also, when the receptionist got snippy with me for wanting an appointment to check in with Dr. L. in two weeks and tried to tell me the only possibility anytime soon is Dec. 31st (not exactly the two weeks from now that he recommended), he got snippy with her and said she had to fit me in before I leave town for Christmas.
Bad News: I still might have to get a root canal.

No comments: