Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Baryshnikov

Tomorrow is my Turkish final. So I've been studying diligently, mostly in the new Turkish grammar packet that Meghan found and sent out to everyone. I don't know where she got it, but I love it because it's written in plain English. My other grammar resources have boring examples, like "Hasan does not have your book," followed by a bunch of abbreviations you have to look up in the index which stand for things like aorist and pluperfect (which do mean something to me, btw). But it's so much easier to memorize grammar structures with colorful examples! For instance, when explaining a certain negative suffix, this packet gives the example "Barisnikov dans etir. Siz, Senatoer Kugayl, siz dans etmezsiniz" which means "Baryshnikov is a dancer. But you, Senator Quayle, you are not a dancer." And now I have a picture in my head of Baryshnikov and Quayle dancing in Turkey, and I will never forget that suffix.
I love grad school.
Edit: Later on, there is a comprehensive table of tense and mood combinations using the example of seeing dervishes - I am seeing dervishes, it is said that I am seeing dervishes, I might see dervishes later, would that I had seen dervishes, etc. Each of these phrases is only two words, and one of them is dervishes.

No comments: