Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Headache

I've had a headache for several days now. This is the Headache to End All Headaches. It has its peaks and valleys, but it hasn't gone away completely no matter how much advil I take. And despite the heightened awareness of all the horrible and unfair and outrageous things going on in the world that comes with being back in school and taking certain classes, this headache is ruining my life. Cue melodramatic whimper. (Ok, it would make you grumpy too. This is the time to bail if you'd rather not have to witness more grumping.)
The thing is, I've never had a headache like this, and I've had headaches all my life, including migraines for most of college. There is this stabbing, sharp pain when that comes out of nowhere and brings the rest of my life to a standstill: what I was saying, what I was doing, which bus stop I get off at, where I put that glass of water. It is breathtaking. And really disruptive.
And so I put aside the fact that I really don't like being called a hypochondriac and I went to the health clinic and waited in a room full of people in face masks who may or may not have swine flu to meet with a nurse, describe my symptoms and medical history, wait in an exam room, describe my symptoms again, do a neuro exam, clarify my symptoms, answer the same questions several times (do they do this to see if you're making up symptoms, or because they didn't listen to you the first time? ugh.), listen to the RNP assigned to me say that it's stress, then that something must be making an artery in my brain spasm, then that it's probably stress and "we don't always know that we're stressed," then that she honestly doesn't know, then after consulting with a physician that it's an "atypical migraine" and that there's no way to know what triggers it or how to prevent it, but there are some pills she'd like me to take that might cause dizziness, nausea, and fatigue and to call her next week.
And then a nurse came in and said my test results were in and I have mono. What's that? My name's not Shannon? Woops, wrong room!
When politicians talk about fixing the health care system, I wonder if they know the kinds of feelings that come from episodes like these. I'm in kind of a lot of pain, and instead of help or even reassurance, I get charged $20 for some glorified tylenol and to be told that it's either nothing, something they won't/can't treat until it messes up my vision, coordination, or speech (mess it up more, I assume, than the drugs they gave me), or something they don't understand any better than I do.
If anyone knows a good primary care physician in the Twin Cities, now would be a good time to mention it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The fact that our house has been under attack with hammers and power tools for the past 6 weeks may have something to do with it. That will all be over soon, and hopefully so will those headaches.

Sarah said...

I didn't even know "artery spasm in your brain" was a thing! I woke up last night with a killer headache and now I'm sure it was that. Specifically in the left front quadrant of my brain. Ow.