Thursday, October 30, 2008

RIP: Savers

My favorite Savers closed! This actually happened awhile ago, during the time when we were all tied up in buying a house, so we didn't find out until recently when we got tired of empty rooms and tried to go buy some furniture.
I can't really exaggerate the loss I feel right now. Where will I go for new jeans? Where will I find my next great sofa blanket or funny coffee mug? And for heaven's sake, how am I supposed to furnish the new house?
I've tried turning to other thrift stores to fill the void, but no matter how many times I go to Goodwill in one weekend, it's just not the same. We even drove over to a Savers in Minneapolis last night, and although they did have furniture, it was extremely, absurdly overpriced (not joking - one ugly, smelly, used couch was priced at $120!) and the place was packed full of hipsters with creative facial hair in ironically shabby outfits, looking for sweaters to pair with their "distressed" (read: already full of holes) $150 Abercrombie jeans.
Sigh. I guess craigslist will just have to do, huh?

No comments: