Saturday, September 27, 2008

Packing-induced hysteria: Hour 12

So, we move tomorrow (soon after that, I'll post some pics of the new place). And we've been packing all day today, so that everything is ready to go when people show up tomorrow at 10 to help (please don't back out!). Despite the fact that I have changed residences so often in the last few years, I HATE moving, and I hate packing even more than I hate moving. Luckily for me, this time the packing and moving is offset a bit by the incredibly satisfying act of checking off several lists we've made since we started this whole project a couple of months ago. We are (unreasonably?) proud of ourselves for getting so much done, but there's a long way to go.
This is our kitchen on its way to being empty. It's a good thing our new kitchen is bigger, because it took us about 5 hours to pack up all the random stuff (Rob's grapefruit gadget, last used in 2006, my spice racks, the 10 cans of tuna we bought on sale in July, the port wine I hauled back from Portugal).
After about 10 hours of packing, I hit this wall where I just don't see the point any more. This is when I finally see the brilliance behind my siblings' packing strategies. I spend the first several hours organizing and labeling, making sure everything is in its right place. Only later do I start throwing everything I see into whatever receptacle or bag is handy at the moment. Grocery bags, trash bags, garbage cans, shoeboxes. Then, at hour 11, I start drinking.
Here, you can see the fruits of our labor (all the boxes) awaiting transport, plus two very confused dogs. Looks like the prayers/dancing/whatever paid off - the forecast for tomorrow is pretty good here. Now I need to go drink pack some more.

No comments: