Saturday, December 1, 2007

The calm before the storm

I'm up early. It's Saturday. Boo.
I'm up early almost every day, even if I don't have to catch the bus. You'd think (if you know me) that I'd find a way to put the early morning to good use, what with my homework, housework, projects, and plans. But so far, I've been much to grumpy to be productive. Generally, I make coffee, read the news, check petfinder, fantasize about getting another dog, read some other news, get depressed about the state of the world, and eventually turn to my homework. You know it's bad, because 19th century German literature (which is all about misogyny, suicide, and social standing) is my refuge.
This weekend is pretty typical, but it's the calm before the storm. Literally and figuratively. Literally, we're supposed to have a big snow- (or ice, depending) storm here. They've been talking it up on the news for a few days now. I expect we'll really only get an inch or two, but I'd be thrilled if we got a foot. Figuratively, this is my last weekend before the long finals storm. I'm extremely nervous, but since most of my finals will be some combination of papers and take home tests, it's hard to really prepare; it's hard to really do anything except get tense and worry that I won't get through the next three weeks (yes, they last until Dec. 20th). Hopefully Christmas shopping distracts me. I'm also thinking of stocking the freezer with soup and things we can thaw and eat when I'm too busy to cook, but that might be more apocalyptic than strictly necessary....

No comments: