Sunday, May 10, 2009

Things I'm thinking about instead of literary history

  • It's 65 degrees outside.
  • There are little kids playing on the trampoline next to the flowering crabapple tree in my neighbor's yard, while he grills something that smells delicious, as his family sits around in the sunshine laughing and drinking lemonade.
  • I am at my desk, looking out the window. No wonder so many grad students are depressed.
  • I want a beer.
  • Academe might not be anything more than putting big fancy words on stuff everybody already knows about (intertextuality = referencing, drawing inspiration from, or being influenced by other things you read), doing weird morphological things to common nouns to show their important theoretical status (othering), and using lots of French words.
  • Tempted to insert some non-sequitur quotation from, say, Monty Python into this paper to see if it is actually being read. Will settle for something jargony from Derrida about the archive, I guess.
  • Is it worth it to try to make macaroni salad without celery?
  • How on earth is this ever going to turn into or lead to a career?
  • It is difficult and awkward to give dating advice to my Turkish Muslim friends, and not just because my Turkish has become terrible this year.
  • I think graduate school has had a negative impact on my writing.
  • I should have gotten a haircut before finals. My split ends are much more interesting than this paper.
  • I've reached the minimum page limit. I give in (up?). Getting that beer now.

1 comment:

missamandabear said...

Drink beer while doing school work - I found it made the process much nicer... not more productive perse - but more fun.