Thursday, July 3, 2008

Indulgence, Part II

The indulgence continues. Not in the form of hot dogs, but I just don't have that many pictures of myself indulging. I'm not really getting things done, with the exception of Oxygen, by Andrew Miller (he occasionally uses grammar with which I disagree, and I've found four typos in his book so far, but I do generally like his style). It is lovely to read for pleasure.
Still haven't done the pound cake recipe, but I did make a pan of caramel rolls, which was both a success (I got the caramel just right, with no recipe!) and a failure (I need a better pan, and maybe a recalibrated oven).
This morning, I got up with big plans to go to the gym and clean and pack and organize and study, but had such a terrible headache that I went back to bed and stayed there, with the curtains drawn, for several hours. This may not count as an indulgence in your book, but it sure felt indulgent to me.
Tomorrow, Rob and Matt and I are headed to Nebraska. It'll be a multi-purpose trip, seeing relatives and looking for a reception site and thinking about all manner of wedding things. Also, I'm inheriting a box of cookbooks Papa purged when he had the counters redone. Do I really need more cookbooks? Probably not. But such petty details will not stop me from taking them home and installing them on the new shelves we built just for my book problem.
After we get back, I have one and a half busy days to remember all my Turkish before I go to Istanbul to see Ayse and continue to be self-indulgent, eat lots of garlicky sauces and pastries and fish, read some more, and not think about the messes and piles of work I should have dealt with before I go.
Eventually, I suppose, this indulgence thing will backfire, my laziness will be exposed, I will fail spectacularly at something important, and hopefully learn my lesson. But until that happens, I think a bowl of ice cream and a good read are brilliant ways to pass the time.

No comments: