Thursday, June 26, 2008

Weighing my options

Most of you know that I'm spending the summer working on a research project, funded by grant money I won with my research proposal. You may also be aware that Professor R. with whom I'm working has been more or less MIA so far. I've been trying very hard not to panic about this. I've been doing all the things I know to do to structure my time and get work done and not be the Needy Student, which works better for me some days than others. Deep down, though, I am the Needy Student - I learn much more from people when I feel like they like me, and care whether or not I'm learning. So when I got an email from the chair notifying the department that R. would be taking this next year away from our department to work as a visiting professor at a German university, it felt kind of like someone kicked my feet out from under me. See, I'd been planning to ask R. to be my M.A. advisor, since the woman I'd actually like to have as an advisor has been postponing a meeting with me since March, and is supposed to be on sabbatical this fall or maybe the entire year, depending on which rumors you listen to. And this is in addition to the fact that R. was (is, until he leaves, I think) Director of Graduate Studies for the year. This position is pretty important - just below the chair in terms of determining the direction of the department and curriculum, and totally responsible for most of the grad student programming, as well as advising those students who haven't chosen an official advisor. This position was previously held by my nemesis, the jerk who tried his best to ruin our conference, who will BE FILLING IN FOR R. AS DGS until a suitable replacement can be found (which will be difficult given the fact that it seems like our department is basically hemorrhaging professors - R. was one of only 2 faculty who were even working with students). Sigh.
So this is frustrating, and makes me feel pretty uneasy about the future of my program. Also makes me fantasize about The Bakery, which still needs a great name and a clear focus (Breads? Cakes? Pastries? Granola? Will I sell breakfast, or breakfast and lunch, or coffee, or wine? A cafe/bakery, bakery/deli, or just bakery?). And a business partner. And a big fat business loan. It seems like a ridiculous fantasy most of the time, considering the education I'm getting and my experience with business, but someone pointed out to me the other day that my chances of making it as a German professor are probably about equal to, if not worse than, my chances of making it as a small business owner.
Is it a sign that writing this post makes me want to go try my new pound cake recipe, rather than tackle my new book on film theory? Even though it's already 80 degrees here, and film theory doesn't need me to turn on the oven?

No comments: