Thursday, June 19, 2008

I don't get it.

Today at the gym: an infomercial about how to rid your thighs of cellulite, ER reruns, and this Charmin commercial involving a vacuum (paper ad at left - I couldn't find a video online). Now, I was listening to This American Life, so I wasn't paying close attention, and I didn't really catch the connection between the vacuum cleaner and toilet paper. I was so perplexed that I nearly fell off my treadmill. What is this about? The toilet paper is so strong that it's like vacuuming your butt? It's so strong that it won't leave bits of toilet paper on your butt that you'll later have to get a friend to vacuum off?
Note to advertisers everywhere: enough already. Don't you people have focus groups or something to prevent this sort of ridiculousness? Who told you that this would make anyone ever want to buy your product? Do you have such serious digestive problems that you think it would be neat to have toilet paper akin to a vacuum? Maybe you should see a doctor.

I don't get advertising.

1 comment:

missamandabear said...

I have seen that commercial like 12 times... it's on all the freaking time. I hate it with all my might! It's about toilet paper not sticking to your butt. I didn't realize this was a huge issue... I still don't think it is - unless you have a sticky butt.