Friday, October 5, 2007

It's raining, it's pouring

It's raining again. I love the rain, but today I realized that this may be because I've usually had the luxury of spending rainy days somewhere cozy, with a blanket and a couch and often my dog. It's been a long time since I had to get up pre-sunrise (hey, it's Minnesota) and walk in the rain to catch a bus so I could get to my not-so-cozy office and work on conference planning. I might go home early.
I'm really (unreasonably) excited about this conference thing. It's kind of like throwing a smart theme party. Although our themes are kind of lacking so far. Consumption (of pop culture, ideology, material goods, etc.), perception/sensation, the grotesque/uncanny, How would you frame a conference theme? What approach would you take to the grotesque, or to consumption, or to perception (not necessarily related)? Basically, we need to hit just the right note to draw in people from other disciplines, and make it appealing to the (demanding) Scandinavian and Medievalist minorities within our own department. And come up with a catchy title. Ten points for every viable idea.

1 comment:

mwjorgensen6 said...

You want to attract Scandinavians? I'd go with "Butter & Sugar"