Not the most creative title in the world. But hey, at least I have a blog going. I let the Berlin one die a quiet death, partly out of laziness and partly because I was going to be able to do a good job of keeping in touch with everyone without a blog.
Obviously I was mistaken. The books have sucked me in.
The guilt and shame (and Emma's glowing example) are working their magic. Now, I'm not promising frequent or particularly interesting (for anyone outside my program) posts, but let's face it: you need a distraction and I need a way to procrastinate.
Plot synopsis: I'm at UMN in the German track M.A./Ph.D. program. If all goes according to plan, I'll be done in about 6 years (312 weeks). Three down, 309 to go.
Week #1: Eeek. Classes cancelled, schedule changed, don't know anything, strike, bomb threat, 200 pages of Turkish homework. Lost all the time.
Week #2: Umm. Still don't know anything, including how to work the treadmill at the gym, the translation of Middle High German (MHG) suenne, the significance of the fact that Weber's definitions of class, status group, and political movement were published posthumously, or Turkish. On the upside, lost only occasionally.
Week #3: Better. Strike is still going, still lost every other day, still don't speak Turkish. But: made a relevant point or two about Schiller, not the worst student in MHG, got snacks to keep in my desk, went to the gym without hurting or embarrassing myself, and stayed on top of my reading.
Coming soon: profound insights into graduate school, office-sharing, public transportation, and other fascinating topics. At least you'll know I'm alive!
4 comments:
Great to hear from you!! Hope it just gets better and better!
Yea, yay for you! You're so smart...
Yaaaay! Are those your books?
Welcome back! Could you do me a favor and go into your blogger settings, then site feed. Change your blog feed to full. I'm trying to add it to "myYahoo" page so I can see your blog right next to my other favorites like Slashdot and 43Folders.
Post a Comment